|Risk more than others think is safe.
Care more than others think is wise.
Dream more than others think is practical.
Expect more than others think is possible.
To those who knew Sujal Parikh, he was a cherished son, beloved friend, admired colleague, and inspiring leader. He fought always for his vision of a different world – one in which everyone has a voice and everyone is loved.
Sujal was an inspiring global health and social justice advocate. As a University of Michigan medical student, he held leadership positions in AMSA, UAEM, PHR, Uganda Village Project, and the UM Center for Global Health. Sujal passed away in October 2010 after a road accident in Uganda where he was conducting AIDS research as an NIH-Fogarty Clinical Research Scholar. Read more here.
Full of charisma and compassion, Sujal forged communities of friends and colleagues around the world. In the wake of his untimely loss, those who love him and are inspired by him have come together to create the Sujal Parikh Memorial Symposium for Health and Social Justice.
In Sujal’s own words:
- Mzungu Bye!, Sujal’s blog in Uganda
- Sujal’s writings as Associate Editor-in-Chief for AMSA’s Global Pulse Journal
- Sujal’s speech at the 2010 PHR National Conference
Tributes to Sujal by:
- University of Michigan Center for Global Health, where Sujal served on the Internal Advisory Council
- Physicians for Human Rights, where Sujal led as a Student Advisory Board member
- Universities Allied for Essential Medicines, where Sujal was an active member of UM’s chapter
- Uganda Village Project, where Sujal served on the Board of Trustees
The Sujal Campaign
for Social Justice and Global Health Equity
Shortly after Sujal’s death, his parents, friends and classmates established a fund in his memory, with the hope that funds collected would be used to provide support for the kinds of issues and causes about which he was so passionate. Proceeds from the Sujal Campaign for Social Justice and Global Health Equity will be used to support the following initiatives:
- The annual Sujal Parikh Memorial Symposium for Health and Social Justice. The goals of the symposium include raising awareness of the role that health professionals play in the broader community to improve health equity and social justice, as well as serving as a “call to action” to get others involved in learning and service opportunities.
- Scholarships for students to pursue learning and service opportunities to prepare them for careers in social justice and health equity, such as SocMed in Uganda.
- Funds for travel scholarships to attend meetings or participate in initiatives that support global health and human rights, such as those offered by Physicians for Human Rights and Physicians for Social Responsibility.
To make a gift to the Sujal Campaign for Social Justice and Global Health Equity, please click on the image below: